Thursday, December 1, 2016

Nonfiction Book

      The book I'm currently reading is Maya Angelou Greeting In The Morning by Sarah E. King. This is a biography about Maya Angelou. Marguerite Johnson, also know as, Maya Angelou, is one of America's most famous writers/poets. Growing up, Maya has been through tough experiences in her life, like racism, but that hasn't stopped her from becoming a writer. As a child, Maya was a very bright girl who loved many different writers. She's moved several different times to her mother and her grandmother. Maya grew up with her brother Bailey. They have a very strong relationship and they look out for one another. Maya loved writing and was a smart student in school.

      One passage that I found in the book that was interesting and stuck out to me was that, Maya, who had always been a good student, was given a scholarship to attend the California Labor School when she was 14 years old. She also took evening classes in drama and dance. This passage stuck out to me because when I read it, I felt really happy for her as if she was one of my friends. This also really stuck out to me because I'm also 14 and I haven't even accomplished something that big. I hope that I do. I also have always wanted to receive a scholarship, but that's a one in a million chance. All in all, Maya is a hardworking student and she really deserves that scholarship.

      Some things that I have learned that I will remember in the near future is how much of a great person Maya Angelou is and how creative her work is. I never really knew much about Maya Angelou till I read this book. I always thought she was just a great writer and she's known for her poems. Maya has a very interesting backstory that made me really interested in this book. She writes about self peace and love which I think is really interesting. I hope to read some of her pieces in the future. I also learned that she met Martin Luther King Jr. which I thought was really amazing. She's made it very far in life despite her past. Maya has also created a book called I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. I hope to read this book in the future and learn more about herself and more about her past.


I commented on Andrew's blog. 
I commented on Kiana's blog.
I commented on Lesly's blog. 

8 comments:

  1. This is dope. I love how you chose book on that is almost like you. You're just like Maya, Dena. I'm not saying that because I'm your amiga, I'm saying it because it's true. I also love how you chose passages that you will want to also do or achieve. It's great, I love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dena this was an amazing blog maybe some time I could read about her and learn a lot of different things. This was a very good blog and it was really cool The she met Martin Luther King.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was amazing to read about I am glad that you chose that book to read. You explained really good on what the book was talking about and I like that you hope to read more about her books in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dena, this blog was great. I like what you had to say about Maya Angelou and your summary in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dean Queen. I like your blog. Rephrase that. I LOVE IT. I learned more about Maya Angelou, and I liked how you related to her, saying that you're 14 and that you haven't accomplished anything as big as Maya. I do have faith in you, though. I know you can. Lub You

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your blog. It was very well written and I learned so much about Maya Angelou. I never knew who Maya Angelou was until I read you blog, I have only heard of her name. Keep doing what your doing and maybe one day you will get that scholarship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog was really good it was well written and I learned so much about Maya Angelou

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked your blog a lot it grabbed my attention its well written

    ReplyDelete

Reflection

Three most important things I learned this year was how much impact speeches and essays have on you, I learned a bit of time management, and...